Director of Children and Youth Ministries
PART TIME 12-15 hours week including Sunday mornings, salaried position
St. Matthew United Church of Christ is an active and vibrant community of people who believe that children are one of the greatest gifts God has given us. They are placed in our hands to nurture so that they may grow to rejoice in God’s love in their own way and time. We at St. Matthew U.C.C. accept with joy the privilege and responsibility of partnering with parents to help their children grow in faith. We desire to hire a person who will create a safe space of belonging for everyone, where children and youth can learn to love God and serve their neighbors in our Wheaton neighborhood and beyond.
The Director of Children and Youth Ministries works with volunteers, parents, and other staff to ensure a stimulating, caring, nurturing environment where the children and youth of the church are educated about God, scripture, and community through engaging Sunday School, Vacation Bible School, Youth group and additional age-appropriate events. Our Open and Affirming statement affirms that we love our neighbor as we love ourselves, and our neighbors include all races, ethnicities, physical and mental abilities, family configurations, sexual orientations, gender identities, and economic conditions.
- Evaluate and select age and content appropriate curriculum for children’s Sunday School classes all year (3 years – 5th grade).
- Recruit Sunday School teachers and provide curriculum needs for classes.
- Develop and share the weekly message with the children during the service.
- Plan regular activities and programs for the spiritual and social development of children and youth in cooperation with the Christian Education committee. This would include, but not be limited to, service projects and mission projects.
- Organize and direct Vacation Bible School.
- Work with the Christian Education committee to provide nursery staff and volunteers for Sunday mornings.
- You will attend weekly staff meetings and monthly committee meetings.
- Coordinate and contribute social media posts to the office manager to promote youth activities with the external community.
The Director of Children and Youth Ministries possesses a deep faith in Jesus Christ and has a heart and vision for the spiritual growth and nurture of children. The person has working knowledge of the Bible and is familiar with the emotional and developmental needs of children. He/she/they is a self-starter and self-motivator and able to work with minimal supervision. Must be available on Sunday mornings.
Please send your resume to: Kenna1@comcast.net